Friday, April 22, 2011

It was only a matter of time

I've had some supervisors in the past that made me want to stay Navy all the way until retirement, those supervisors (read: Chiefs) would fight for their people in a very vocal way.

This isn't the Navy circa 1942. A sailor isn't expected to start a fight in a bar, if he/she wants to make themselves better and admits that they have a problem with alcohol they are forever branded an alcoholic and troublemaker.

These days, even though the steady pay, insurance, living arrangements, and world experience is wonderful and slendid...I just don't think I can deal with the underway time and military heirarchy anymore than my obligation insists.

Yes, I know that folks rotate out and that things are only temporary. But the fact of the matter is that I have to deal with it now, while underway and stressed out already. Yes, people will leave this command and go to others but who's to say that someone even worse will replace him. They don't screen personalities when picking orders.

Wallowing through narcisism and facades, seems like this is all I've experienced in 6 years of Navy. Yeah, i know in the grand scheme it's really not that long for military, so don't burn me. They tell me that if I stay in and make Chief one day that I could make the change by being a better Chief. Who's to say that I wouldn't become a victim of that cycle and turn out the same way? I'm not giving it the chance, I don't want to become that kind of person. Even if I am the "good Chief that would fight for my people", that the people under me would look up to, I would only be a bucket of hot water in a cold ocean.

Also, folks that refer to people as "warm bodies" really gets under my skin.

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there, buddy. Be the great sailor you are til the end. It won't be long before you toss that dixie cup over the side as you pass under the Coronado bridge...

    ReplyDelete